European policies influence what we eat: every year €60 billion of taxpayers’ money is distributed to farmers through the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). Right now, the biggest farmers get the most money. But a reform of the policy is underway, and many other laws are being discussed at the same time, affecting the way we farm and what we eat. Now is the time to stand up and be heard!
- access to tasty, nutritious and culturally appropriate food for all
- re-localisation of food production, processing and consumption
- food sovereignty and fair world trade
- a CAP reform that is socially just, sustainable, supports living rural areas and does not harm other countries
- fair income and decent work conditions for farmers, land workers, pastoralists and fishers
- a better future in rural communities and in the city
- many more people in farming and opportunities for young entrants
- food policies that promote biodiversity, protect the environment and mitigate climate change
- no GMOs and reduce dependency on chemical inputs at large
- animal welfare and fewer, higher-quality animal products
- reverse the decline of bees, birds and other animals needed for sustainable agriculture and healthy ecosystems
- more participatory political processes
Our call to action for 2020 will be available here soon. Below you can find the call to action from last year.